Categorize automatically using smart folder
What is the Smart Folder?
The Smart folder is a kind of folder with special features. Unlike regular folders, the smart folder will filter all images in Eagle according to the conditions you set, and assemble all images that meet these conditions in the Smart Folder.
How to create a Smart Folder
To make use of the Smart Folder, we'll have to create one first. There are two ways to create Smart Folder:
- The "+" button to the side of library's name
- The "+" button to the side of Smart Folders navigation tab
After created, you can give a name to this smart folder, and set your filtering conditions:
The Smart Folder, once created, is capable to be renamed, have its icon and color customized, the conditions given could also be changed to fit your usage.
Setting Up Conditions
By combining different sets of conditions, the smart folder can be used in various scenarios. For example, you can set conditions as follows:
- Create Time
Filter images by create time. e.g.: "Images saved yesterday", "Images saved from 2017-07-01 to 2017-07-15", "Images saved in 2016".
Filter images by color. you can switch between the "almost the same" or "similar" color filters to your needs.
Filter images by name. Available conditions include: "include", "not included", "begin with", "end with", "completely equal". The default is "include", you can find images of which their name includes the keyword you designated.
Filter images by source URL. Usually, the image downloaded with "Browser Extension" will include the source URL automatically. For real-world examples, you can create folders like: "My images in Dribble", "Pinterest favorite images".
- Height, width
Filter images by size. The width and height can be "equal", "less than", "greater than", or "custom range". it can be used like "iPhone screenshot", "Webpage screenshot", "HD background image".
Filter images by file extension, you can quickly filter out a certain format of images. For example, you can create smart folders like: "GIF animation", "PSD files". This is normally used combined with other conditions.
Filter images by tag. Filtering multiple tags is also possible. With this condition, you can create folders like "Adorable", "Banners".
We have collected some of usage examples for the smart folder here, please refer below:
- Recently added
- Specific file formats
- Specific image sizes (e.g. iPhone screenshots)
- Big file size Help you to find out files that use more spaces of your device. Use "file size" + "more than" condition to quickly spot them.
- Conditions that you searched often recently If you are designing a series of blue-themed posters, you can use "color", "tag" conditions to create a smart folder, saving the time spent on frequent filtering.
- Unnoted, uncommented items
- Good/bad ratings Wanna have a brief look for items with high ratings? By using the "ratings" condition, we can create a category for highly-rated items in a blink of eyes.
- Short clips